A US drone attacked an ISIS-K vehicle full of explosives in Kabul


0

The US Marines provide assistance at the Evacuation Checkpoint (ECC) during the evacuation at Hamid Karzai International Airport, Afghanistan, on August 22, 2021.

US Marines Reuters

WASHINGTON – The United States carried out a military attack on the ISIS-K target in Kabul on Sunday, a development that is coming in the last days of a huge humanitarian evacuation mission.

“U.S. military forces carried out self-defense without aircraft over the horizon today with an air strike on a vehicle in Kabul, eliminating the imminent threat of ISIS-K to Hamad Karzai International Airport,” U.S. Central Command spokesman Captain Bill Urban wrote in a statement. .

“We are confident that we have successfully hit the target. Significant secondary explosions from the vehicle indicated the presence of a significant amount of explosive material,” he added.

There were no known civilian casualties after the strike.

The latest attack followed on Friday by a drone killed two prominent members of ISIS-K in Afghanistan. The Pentagon said on Saturday that the target of the attack was two ISIS-K members believed to be involved in planning the attack on U.S. forces in Kabul. Army Major General William Taylor said there were no known civilian casualties after the attack.

Sunday’s strike comes after President Joe Biden’s national security team warned a day earlier that there was an attack on Kabul airport. “very likely in the next 24-36 hours. “

“The situation on the ground remains extremely dangerous, and the threat of terrorist attacks at the airport remains high,” President Joe Biden said in a statement Saturday, adding that he had instructed U.S. commanders to “take all possible measures to protect forces.” priority “. “

Marine Corps General Kenneth McKenzie, commander of the U.S. Central Command, told reporters Thursday that ISIS is likely to try to continue the attacks before the evacuation is complete.

“We believe their desire is to continue with these attacks and we expect these attacks to continue,” the four-star general told reporters at the Pentagon, adding that the U.S. is monitoring “an extremely active flow of threats to the airport.”

McKenzie, who oversees U.S. military operations in the region, said threats to Western forces and civilians at the airport range from shootings to rockets to suicide attacks.

“So very, very real streams of threats, what we would call tactical, which means immediate, could emerge at any moment,” he said. McKenzie said he did not envisage seeking additional U.S. troops for the mission.

In the last 24 hours, Western forces have evacuated 2,900 people from Kabul on a 41-flight military cargo plane. Since the start of the mass evacuation on August 14, approximately 114,400 people have been flown from Afghanistan.

About 120,000 people have been evacuated since the end of July, including about 5,400 U.S. citizens and their families.

State Department spokesman Ned Price said Friday that approximately 500 Americans are still seeking evacuation.

This story is evolving. Please check for updates.

.


Like it? Share with your friends!

0

What's Your Reaction?

hate hate
0
hate
confused confused
0
confused
fail fail
0
fail
fun fun
0
fun
geeky geeky
0
geeky
love love
0
love
lol lol
0
lol
omg omg
0
omg
win win
0
win
Stacy

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *