Hong Kong-Singapore ‘travel bubble’ deferred again after case surge
The long-awaited Hong Kong-Singapore “travel bubble” has been deferred again, amid the surge in Covid cases in Singapore, the two governments have said.
This is not the first time the authorities on both sides have decided to suspend the quarantine-free corridor, which was scheduled to be launched on 26 May. In November last year, the plan was suspended due to a resurgence of cases in Hong Kong.
In a statement on Monday, the Singapore government said recent increase in “unlinked community cases” has resulted in the city state not being able to meet the criteria for this initiative.
“Both sides remain strongly committed to launching the Air Travel Bubble (ATB) safely,” said Singapore’s Ministry of Transport. “However, in the light of the recent increase in unlinked community cases, Singapore is unable to meet the criteria to start the Singapore-Hong Kong ATB.”
Meanwhile, the authorities in Hong Kong said on Monday that it will announce further updates on or before 13 June, when Singapore’s current virus-control measures expire.
Singapore has in the last few days seen a resurgence of locally-transmitted Covid cases. On Monday, the government reported 28 new cases. Among them, seven were imported.
Also on Monday, Hong Kong reported one additional case – imported by a 25-year-old woman who arrived from Indonesia, the government said on its website. In the past two weeks, a total of 40 cases have been reported. This included eight local cases, of which one is from an unknown infection source, it said.