Fife boss Gianni Infantino “strongly disapproves” of the torn European Super League and says 12 clubs will have to “live with the consequences” of their decision to join.
Premier League clubs Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham are part proposed league.
“There’s a lot to throw away for maybe short-term financial gain for some,” Infantino said.
“Either you’re in or you’re out.”
In other events:
- UEFA President Alexander Ceferin called on English clubs to “come to their senses”
- Everton have criticized the “absurd arrogance” of the clubs involved
- Real Madrid president Florentino Perez says a new league is needed to “save football”
The proposed tournament could see teams play each other in mid-week matches, trying to hold multiple matches between big clubs.
Other clubs involved are AC Milan, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid.
The plans have been fiercely criticized by fans, experts, football governing bodies and members of the UK government.
“Our task is to protect the European sports model. If some decide to go their own way, they have to live with the consequences of their choices,” said Infantino, president of the governing body of world football.
“They are fully responsible for their choices. That means you are either inside or outside. You can’t be half and half outside.”
‘Gentlemen, you have made a great mistake’
There were protests outside Premier League club pitches who signed up for the league.
Leeds players also previously wore T-shirts with the words “Earn” next to the Champions League logo and “Football is for the fans” before their 1-1 draw with Liverpool At Monday.
On Tuesday, Uefa president Ceferin called on English clubs to “come to their senses”.
Addressing the owners of the six Premier League clubs directly, he said: “Gentlemen, you have made a big mistake. There is time to change your mind.
“Come to your senses. Not out of love for football – I don’t think you have much – but out of respect for the people who bleed for it, out of respect for the home of football. I know we’re right and they’re wrong. It’s a game we can’t lose. . “
What did other Premier League clubs say?
Everton i Brighton he released statements Tuesday criticizing their Premier League counterparts for joining.
In long statement, the Everton board said the six clubs “tarnish the reputation of our league and the game”, accused them of “disrespecting” other Premier League clubs and said they “take for granted and even betray most football fans across our country and beyond “.
The statement added: “This absurd arrogance is not wanted anywhere in football outside the clubs that drafted this plan.
“On behalf of all those associated with Everton, we respectfully ask that the proposals be withdrawn immediately and that the private meetings and subversive practices that brought our beautiful game to probably the lowest position in terms of trust now end.”
The 14 Premier League clubs not registered for the ESL will meet on Tuesday to evaluate the proposals and consider a response.
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez said a new league is needed “save football” and help compensate for losses caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
However, Everton accused six first-league clubs of acting “entirely in their own interests”.
They added: “In this time of national and international crisis – and the period that defines our game – clubs should work together in collaboration with the ideals of our game and the highest fans.
“Instead, these clubs have secretly conspired to separate themselves from the football pyramid that has served them so well.
“The self-proclaimed Super Six seem to intend to disenfranchise supporters across the game – including their own – by putting the very structure that supports the game we love at risk.”
Brighton said the torn league showed an “obvious lack of respect” for other sides, adding that it would “destroy the dreams of clubs at all levels”.
The statement said: “These plans are the latest on an alarming and growing list of secret attempts by a small group of clubs whose actions would destroy nearly 150 years of football tradition.”
Fifa said in January that there would be players involved in the torn league international competition prohibited.
Agent Jonathan Barnett, who represents Wales and Tottenham striker Gareth Bale, said he would go to court if such a ban is imposed.
“The only people who will really suffer at work are the players,” Barnett told today’s Radio 4 program.
“I spoke to Fifpro [the players’ union] and I assure you, we will go to court to fight against the rights of players. “
Key developments so far
- A dozen clubs – including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham – have agreed to form a new mid-week competition.
- 20 clubs will play in the European Super League in all and run alongside domestic leagues like the Premier League
- Founding clubs are cheating with € 3.5 billion (£ 3 billion) grant provided by investment bank JP Morgan
- The UK government says it is ready “put everything on the table so it doesn’t happen”
- The French president, Uefa, the Premier League, major European leagues, players’ unions and former players have sharply criticized the move.
- Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says he does not agree with the move and that the club’s players have not been consulted
- A YouGov poll among 1,730 football fans showed that 79% oppose the idea of a Super League
- The 14 Premier League clubs not involved in the ESL move will meet on Tuesday
- Fans broadcast frustrations on social media and some visit the fields to unfurl banners in protest.
- Real Madrid president Florentino Perez says the league was created to “save football”